[Athen] Dictation & computer programming

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:25:48 PST 2022

Hi all,
Just finished a bit of research for a college back east who has a student
who needs to use dictation software in a computer programming class. I
thought the information was valuable enough for the greater audience here.
Perhaps you have or you know of students who need to use Dragon
NaturallySpeaking for their written work and who are enrolled in a variety
of different kinds of computer programming classes. This is a workable
solution for them. I've included links.

For JavaScript programming, the combination that works the best with Java
is Dragon NaturallySpeaking individual professional 15.0, and Eclipse IDE
open source (integrated development environment) software.

Eclipse IDE open source software works pretty well in programming languages
such as Java, JavaScript, CSS, HTML and others. It works well with Dragon
Naturally Speaking.

First, here is a link for a video demo of a programmer dictating Java using
Dragon NaturallySpeaking & Eclipse IDE which demonstrates how it's done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22zH2He0vvk

Next is a link for downloading the open source Eclipse IDE used for Java
programming: https://www.eclipse.org/ide/ & look for the DOWNLOAD button.

Finally, I have included a link for some practice exercises using Dragon
NaturallySpeaking & Eclipse IDE for your student to get used to how it
works.
https://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/examples-of-javascript-1233964

This should hold your student on track for a while!

As far as math dictation is concerned, my favorite of all
time combination packages has gone out of business. I don't know if any of
the software package components are available to purchase anymore. It is
unfortunate. Math Talk and Scientific Notebook along with Dragon
NaturallySpeaking 15.0 did a phenomenal job from everything from basic math
all the way up through trigonometry. If I can find a copy of it
somewhere still for sale, I will let you know.

In the meantime,TextHelp has come up with some decent assistive technology
for math called EquatIO. It allows for dictated math as well as scanning
math and reading it as text-to-speech among other tools at its disposal. It
is a separate software product from TextHelp, the company that handles Read
& Write learning enhancement software. It uses its own dictation software
for voice input. Here is a link for more information.
https://www.texthelp.com/products/equatio/

There are some other software combinations using dictation for chemistry if
it turns out your student(s) have a need for this in the future. Let me
know. I'm glad to help.

If it is of any value to you in your office at the college for your
students, Dragon NaturallySpeaking works really well in other languages
also. I personally use it in Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, &
Italian. There are other languages available.

Of course, if you have a student who needs to use their voice to create
musical scores & music notation, Sibelius is a good choice:
https://www.sibelius.com/products/audioscore/ultimate.html

Because of a personal need on my part because I cannot use a six key
Perkins brailler, I created a set of macros so that I could dictate in
contracted braille – yes, I dictate in the six dot format, speaking the dot
combinations! Very geeky.

Let me know if you have questions or if I can be of further assistance.

Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com
480-984-0034

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>