[Athen] video magnifiers for distance

Todd Schwanke todd.schwanke at wisc.edu
Mon Feb 21 11:42:40 PST 2022

Hi Christina:

Good afternoon.

1. For the projected materials, you could try using the screen sharing feature of webinar software that you may already have access to such as Zoom or Adobe Connect (but without the audio to avoid audio feedback) as a way for the student to view what is being projected (including videos) via their laptop or tablet. For the students who would like the live view of the projection, I've had a lot more interest in this option than a portable video magnifier.
2. If using a document camera, most document cameras can be connected via USB to the instructor's laptops where they can be selected as a webcam or shared via their respective desktop software. It's important for the instructor to use a felt tip pen (typically medium point or larger is best), wet erase, or other marker to get nice bold lines that can be zoomed and that scan well.
3. If an instructor is set on using the chalkboard or dry erase board, and won't switch to a document camera, that's where other strategies like the a portable video magnifier, live peer notetaker screen sharing, copies from peer notetaker, cell phone pictures of the board, monocular, etc. (this one seems to depend a lot on student preference, especially as relatively few students have an interested in the portable video magnifier from my experience). Other list members may have more experience with specific portable video magnifier models.

Todd Schwanke (he/him)
UW-Madison