[Athen] AT solution for student with brain injury

Romack, Justin justinr at disability.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 28 10:46:09 PST 2022

Howdy assistive technology aficionados!

I'm working with a student who has damage to their brain stem as a result of cancer and treatment.

This student's noted barrier is in writing. Their speech and dexterity / motor control has been impacted. I can have a conversation with this student and understand them reasonably well, but I do have concerns about Dragon's effectiveness. They did mention trying the built-in speech recognition inside of MS Word and stated this solution was not useful. They also have difficulty using a mouse or keyboard for extended periods of time.

We will look at Dragon as an option, but I'm curious what other solutions or strategies you all might suggest?

Always grateful!

Thanks,

Justin Romack | Assistive Technology Coordinator
Disability Resources | Texas A&M University
1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu | disability.tamu.edu
DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS | One Division. One Mission.