[Athen] AT solution for student with brain injury

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Mon Feb 28 15:46:47 PST 2022

Hey Justin,
I'd look at a couple of different approaches for this student, esp if
fatigue is a factor. They can switch between methods to reduce fatigue that
could result from a single approach.

Something like a head pointer, on-screen keyboard (with word prediction)
can give hands/arms a rest.
Combine that with something that allows for word prediction (is Co:Writer
still a thing?) in using standard input.
There's always switch input as a fallback but from your description, it may
not be needed.

Based on your summary, I don't think pursuing speech input makes much
sense. If basic dictation in Windows is not working well, it's likely that
Dragon will be just as frustrating. Certainly going with a headset
microphone would be the first step. I keep seeing folks struggling with
speech trying to use the crappy built-in microphones on their laptops.

I've been playing with LipSurf <https://www.lipsurf.com/> a bit -- it's a
really cool extension for the Chrome browser that works much better than
Dragon for browsing. Again, I'd recommend a headset over a desktop/laptop
microphone. Could be this is a solution for general web browsing but if
speech is difficult, it may not be worth spending a bunch of time pursuing.

-*- Dan

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 10:46 AM Romack, Justin <justinr at disability.tamu.edu>
wrote:

> Howdy assistive technology aficionados!

> I’m working with a student who has damage to their brain stem as a result

> of cancer and treatment.

> This student’s noted barrier is in writing. Their speech and dexterity /

> motor control has been impacted. I can have a conversation with this

> student and understand them reasonably well, but I do have concerns about

> Dragon’s effectiveness. They did mention trying the built-in speech

> recognition inside of MS Word and stated this solution was not useful. They

> also have difficulty using a mouse or keyboard for extended periods of time.

> We will look at Dragon as an option, but I’m curious what other solutions

> or strategies you all might suggest?

> Always grateful!

> Thanks,

> *Justin Romack* | Assistive Technology Coordinator

> Disability Resources | Texas A&M University

> 1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

> ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu | disability.tamu.edu

> *DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS *| One Division. One Mission.

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology