[Athen] FYI low priority

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Thu Jun 9 07:20:01 PDT 2022

I know you've been keeping count of the number of students we serve in person. Just in case you are still counting, up until yesterday, I saw no students this quarter in person; every student contact was via phone, email and/or Clockwork.
But yesterday, I met with two students: one with summer questions and another for Fall. And I personally delivered and explained tactile graphics to one of them.
Patty, Esther and I have commented many times about the limited number of students we see in person, and I'm thinking part of it is due to increasing gas prices. My one student said his family was batching up trips to save money. And I went to the pool yesterday, only three of us were using it despite the warm weather!
Also VTA has gotten much, much worse. They are batching up paratransit rides, so now it is common for my rides to last 2-3 hours even though I live only 20 minutes away. This is because they do multiple pickups and drop-offs. I know there's also a bus driver shortage so they've cut back on many of their fixed routes as well. All this, I believe contributes to a shortage of in-person contacts.

--Debee