[Athen] Auto adjust reading speed based on tagged math content

Katy Wong katy.wong at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 10 09:44:39 PDT 2022

Hi All,

We received feedback from a student who trialed using voiceover with math content this past semester. Many of their grievances regarded commonly known issues with reading math or software issues which they have shared with the companies involved. One piece of feedback that I have not seen come up very often or at all was regarding the speed/pace of the math portions being read. Since they are new to this technique for math content, the pace they select for text is far too quick for them to process and have the acuity that math requires. Their workaround was to stop at math content and navigate character by character which can be time-consuming and takes away from their focus on the content. Is anyone aware of a way to set two different paces for differently tagged content?

I also want to note that this question is not specific to voiceover. We have other potential students who could benefit from this method for math content. I assume pace will also play a factor in their learning curve. We welcome anyone who has insight on Jaws, NVDA, or Voiceover IOS or macOS.

Thanks for your time,
Katy Wong
______________
Katy Wong
She/Her/Hers
Accessible Learning Technology Coordinator
McBurney Disability Resource Center
Student Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Madison
608-263-2741 (Voice-Front desk)