[Athen] Embosser or Scanner Recommendations

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Thu Jun 16 10:02:02 PDT 2022

The main drawback to that awesome old Juliet embosser is that the cable
connection is so outdated. We went through this process of updating a few
years ago and retained our old one (plus a parallel port card needed to
connect to newer computers) in reserve as a backup.

We replaced it with a new Juliet. It does not have the same appearance of
rugged reliability as the one built and sold by Enabling Technologies. That
said, it is nice to have relatively simple network sharing capabilities and
it's definitely faster than our old workhorse. Braille quality is good and
we've had no complaints. Setup can be a little fussy.

As for the scanner, you might look into a service pack for it -- replacing
the feed rollers and a thorough cleaning may be all it needs to keep
chooching along for years. That's assuming you have one of the high end
speedy ones.

-*- Dan