[Athen] publisher unwilling to provide a PDF

Romack, Justin justinr at disability.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 30 14:58:25 PDT 2022

Howdy Tiffany!

Yes, it’s frustrating and challenging when a publisher refuses to share a digital file.

The publisher’s response, all be it unhelpful and uncooperative, is not inaccurate. You can send them a Dear Colleague letter and let them know all of the reasons why their materials should be accessible to this student – but ultimately your institution is on the hook for making it happen.

In these situations, I’ll do one of two things:

1. I’ll ask the student if I can cut and scan their copy of the material. Many times, if they have no intent to keep the book after the class, our bookstore will buy back the re-bound materials and not penalize the student’s buy-back price.
2. If the student is unwilling to have their copy cut, I’ll just buy the PDF. Yes, the publisher has double-dipped here, but they run a business and, frankly, aren’t held to the same compliance measures as our institutions.

What’s the book? Maybe one of us here may have a copy to share?

Thanks! 😊

Be well,

Justin Romack | Assistive Technology Coordinator
Disability Resources | Texas A&M University
1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu<mailto:justinr at disability.tamu.edu> | disability.tamu.edu
DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS | One Division. One Mission