[Athen] Accessibility of Padlet, Jamboard, discord and other interactive chat software

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Thu Mar 3 13:59:51 PST 2022

More and more I'm seeing zoom meetings and classes combined with chat platforms like the ones listed above. Has anyone investigated their accessibility both with screen readers, magnification and software that reads the web to sighted students with learning disabilities?

As a screen reader user, I find I can read the text on these platforms but it's impossible to keep up with the conversations in realtime or quickly separate the relevant from the trivial. I also understand information is presented in an outline form so it is much easier to scan through visually than using speech Braille or magnification.

In addition there is Slack or reddit and often in the classroom and meetings collaboration is done in realtime with Office 365 or google docs. So much software, and it is so, so confusing!

I am also thinking that too much real-time collaboration is simply not inclusive for anyone with a print disability. But how to get this message across without sounding like a whiner.

Thoughts?

--Debee