[Athen] [EXTERNAL] - Question for the group

Hayman, Douglass dhayman at olympic.edu
Fri Mar 25 09:29:33 PDT 2022

Bryon,

At my last job we had a small portable PA that came with a tripod stand. The PA unit was about the size of a lunchbox and required plugging into an outlet. It had both a wireless handheld mic and a lapel wireless mic. The system could only use one of those at a time so we mostly used the handheld mic. Tried to find something online just now with a large vendor I have used for personal music gear needs and for work, sweetwater.com but didn't find something just like that.

This was close and along the lines of what I'd suggest:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XP106W--samson-expedition-xp106w

The smaller the speaker the poorer it will do for quality of sound and durability, in my experience.

I'd imagine the speaker being off to the side of the instructor perhaps pointing towards both the instructor and students but up in front of the class. Then the students would be required to use the handheld wireless microphone when asking questions. Then both the instructor and fellow students could hear what was asked.

If you asked your knowledgeable dealer like sweetwater, B&H photo or larger local music equipment vendor they might have the perfect unit in mind.

When I would do audio support for events, I'd put a PA system up front that had a unit which plugged into the PA to take in mulitiple handheld wireless microphones. That way a presenter could have one, or panelist and another could roam in the audience so that all could hear. And if remote captioning was being done, a separate microphone linked to a computer would be near but not right on top of one of the PA speakers so that a live transcript would include presenters and audience questions.

Finally, don't skimp on such gear and buy the $100 bargain product as it'll have poor audio output, and likely breakdown in a short time.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College