[Athen] Question for the group

National Deaf Center help at nationaldeafcenter.org
Tue Mar 29 10:26:28 PDT 2022

Greetings Byron,

The National Deaf Center on Postsecondary Outcomes
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/>(NDC) saw your post and we wanted to
respond. We recommend contacting the Job Accommodations Network
<https://askjan.org/> for direct assistance as they provide free
consultation and assistance with troubleshooting workplace accommodations
for employees.

In the meantime, here are several resources and considerations based on our
experiences with deaf students in similar environments:

-

Review the common ALS types in our Assistive Listening Systems 101
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/als101> guide, including system
components (i.e., transmitter, microphone, and receiver).

-

The deaf faculty member should consult with their Audiologist to receive
a customized recommendation on what assistive listening devices could work
for them, especially if they have a hearing aid or cochlear implants.
Generally speaking, an ALS can be used with headphones or an intermediary
device that transmits sounds directly to hearing aids and cochlear implants
(e.g. neckloop or streamer device). It may be uncomfortable to wear
headphones over hearing aids but could still be an option to try. If you
have a portable system, consider loaning it to the deaf faculty member for
further testing.

-

It would also be helpful to know more specifics about the setting and
how people are communicating in the setting. For example:
-

Is the deaf faculty member unable to hear student questions and
comments from around the room as they are lecturing?
-

Are there group discussions or activities involved?
-

Are people wearing masks?

-

Is there a sound system in the classroom and if so, what does the room
sound system look like? Is there a single microphone attached to the podium
at the front of the room only? Are there table top or ceiling microphones
spread throughout the room that connect to the in-room speakers? Are
multiple microphones available to pass around the room?

-

Another option to consider discussing with the faculty is providing
real-time speech-to-text services
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/stts> (e.g. CART, C-Print, or
TypeWell) where they would receive real-time captions produced by a
professional. Speech-to-text providers can be remote or in-person. A
laptop or another device with the real-time captions can be strategically
placed for the faculty to see.

-

Classroom management strategies can help ensure equitable access to
communication in the room. Here are some ideas that may work in this
environment:
-

Establish turn-taking protocols, such as passing a mic around so that
questions and comments are easily accessible to everyone in the room.
-

Ask students to repeat themselves or re-phrase questions in a
different way.
-

Set up an interactive document where questions or comments can be
typed in realtime (e.g. Google Documents). This could also
become an option
for communal notes for the entire class.

We would also recommend subscribing to the NDC Listserv and asking
colleagues for additional suggestions. To sign up for the listserv go to
nationaldeafcenter.org/signup <http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/signup>.
Once the listserv admin adds you to the group, you can send a new question
by emailing nationaldeafcenter at utlists.utexas.edu.

We hope the above resources and considerations are helpful. Should you have
any additional questions please send us an email at
help at nationaldeafcenter.org. Have a great day!
*NDC | help team*
help at nationaldeafcenter.org
[image: https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/]
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/>
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/>
<https://www.facebook.com/nationaldeafcenter>
<https://twitter.com/NationalDeafCtr>
<https://www.instagram.com/nationaldeafcenter/>
<https://www.youtube.com/national%20deaf%20center>
Subscribe to our newsletter <http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/signup>!

NDC is a technical assistance and dissemination center funded by the U.S.
Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs
#H326D210002. Project Officer: Dr. Louise Tripoli. Disclaimers: 1) The
contents of this email do not necessarily represent the positions or
policies of the federal government. 2) NDC does not provide legal advice
and any information shared should not be considered as such. 3) NDC does
not endorse any specific products/services/vendors and any information
shared should not be considered as such.