[Athen] VoiceOver training

Russell Solowoniuk solowoniukr at macewan.ca
Fri May 13 11:49:49 PDT 2022

Hi Robin,

I’m not sure if you’ve tried the “Speak Selection” feature on the Mac? This might be a better option than having the student try to learn VoiceOver in a short time period. When you turn on “Speak Selection” the student can then select text on the screen and then press a shortcut key, (Option + Escape by default) to have the selected text read aloud. To turn on this feature do the following:

1. Go to System Preferences.
2. Choose “Accessibility”.
3. Choose “Spoken Content (can set voice & rate here)
4. Check "Speak Selection"
5. Click Options directly after Speak Selection" to set options, i.e. highlight Word, Sentence, Word and Sentences and set highlight color. Set shortcut key.

To read more about this feature, go to:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh27448/mac

I hope this helps.

Have a great weekend everyone,