[Athen] call to action

Lucy GRECO lgreco at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 24 15:32:42 PDT 2022

hello everyone:
for over 4 years now youtube has had a feature to let creators add
descriptive video to youtube videos. when i asked for access to this
feature for our campus this is what they sent me

"
YouTube has a pilot program to give participating creators the ability to
add audio tracks containing audio descriptions to their videos. On enabled
videos, selecting the gear icon and choosing the "descriptive" audio track
plays the audio track designated as descriptive audio - a format that is
intended to give audio context for essential visual information. The
purpose of the pilot is to better understand the unique needs of our users
and how to create features to help reach broader audiences."

This is making me very angry as I know the feature has been out for over
3 and maybe 4 years now as I first saw it in 2018 or 2019 on a video game
trailer.
Since then I have seen it on a few other video game trailers but never on
any other youtube channels.
If we in education can't get access to the features we need to help our
students and extended communities, how can more people learn about
accessibility and how to do it right

Here is my call to action. your campuses should also join me in asking
google to get your team's access to the feature now so that we can learn
how to use it and teach about how to always make videos more accessible to
everyone

lucy

Berkeley IT <https://technology.berkeley.edu/home>

Lucy Greco, Web Accessibility Evangelist

Campus IT Experience
Phone: (510) 289-6008 | Email: lgreco at berkeley.edu |
https://webaccess.berkeley.edu Follow me on twitter @accessaces

We champion diversity. We act with integrity. We deliver. We innovate.