[Athen] Follett and BryteWave, how accessible is it?

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Sep 28 08:58:57 PDT 2022

Yeah, it does appear to be the RedShelf Reader and I think there are a few growing pains. For example, the FAQ says there is no TTS but other documentation says each book page has a read aloud button.
I personally found RedShelf very accessible. But I know other students we worked with don't agree.
It's such a slippery concept in many ways because if a student knows how to use one reading platform, they may decide one they haven't learned to use is not accessible even when it is.
Someone tried to tell me this summer that the Bookshare web reader wasn't accessible.
Anyway, it looks like there's a mix of image-based and text-based books. I guess the keyword is reflowable, because Redshelf doesn't say if it's a PDF or an epub as it's wrapped with DRM inside their own platform.
I've written to them to ask them for a few sample books to put on my shelf for a few days; I sent them ISBNS and we'll see.

--Debee