[Athen] Aerospace engineering student with chronic wrist/hand pain

shelleyhaven techpotential.net shelleyhaven at techpotential.net
Fri Aug 4 11:39:30 PDT 2023

Texthelp’s Equatio can indeed do higher education math and science equations using dictation, but in my experience it’s best to use Equatio’s math dictation in combination with some keyboard and mouse use. It also has Math Prediction which can reduce keystrokes (e.g., typing "quad" or saying "quadratic" provides the option to enter the entire quadratic formula). Here is a rather strangely formatted table from Texthelp listing prediction items for math, formulas, chemistry, and speech input:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fSKk_gEJKPvjiK-fcYiuewcBTRZB1a1aTJWvZeAsAns/pubhtml#

Here’s a list of common Equatio speech commands (not all inclusive):
https://support.texthelp.com/help/speech-input-commands-for-equatio

Other math input methods that can help reduce typing include a math screenshot reader (capture entire equations online, OCRs them, then paste into Equatio or Google Workspace) and Equatio Mobile (capture image of equations, etc. with phone, transfer to Google Workspace or MS Word). Equatio also include a LaTeX editor, if the student knows LaTeX. Check out Texthelp's Equatio Academy<https://academy.texthelp.com/equatio/> for more, especially the Feature Tour<https://academy.texthelp.com/equatio/equatio-menu/>.

The other STEM issue to be addressed for your student is drawing, graphing, and sketching. Having completed university programs in aerospace/mechanical engineering, I can tell you that engineering curricula requires a lot of diagramming complete with labeling! A good place to start is with GeoGebra (free, open source, works on multiple platforms), which would allow the student to create fairly complex precise diagrams using imprecise mouse movement, or stylus movement on a touchscreen, then export those diagrams to another document. Check out the free GeoGebra Calculator on this page (click the purple "Start Calculator"):
https://www.geogebra.org
…and watch this video (no audio) of someone creating a complex labeled geometry construction (gives you a sense of the capabilities):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIAunU6-hk0

At some point this student may benefit from CAD software, but GeoGebra can probably handle most of the basics in terms of diagrams and graphs.

Hope this helps,
- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant