[Athen] Aerospace engineering student with chronic wrist/hand pain

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:50:59 PDT 2023

The only math dictation software currently available is EquatIO that I’m
aware of. It has achieved reliable speech recognition in some levels of
math. Not sure how high it goes. I’ll check and get back to you.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 15 or 16 individual professional will do a fairly
good job with voice navigation and the ability to control the mouse/cursor
on a grid superimposed on the screen. May be customized with macros to
perform or repeat functions, text, or mouse/cursor actions.

Perhaps there’s can contribute to the resources for your student, Justin.

Update us with more information after you meet with the student and we’ll
be able to make additional suggestions.

Wink Harner

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 8:35 PM Romack, Justin <justinr at disability.tamu.edu>
wrote:

> Howdy all!

> I was just referred an aerospace engineering student with severe and

> persistent pain in their wrists and hands, making physical activities very

> difficult. Their request is for speech recognition / transcription, but

> I’ve had limited experience with solutions that can support advanced

> mathematics or graphing.

> I know very little about this student just yet… it’s possible they can do

> limited activities with their hands and we prioritize tasks to do manually

> that cannot easily be done with assistive tech… but I wanted to reach out

> to see if you wonderful folks had ideas or have worked in similar

> situations?

> Grateful for the wisdom and collaboration on this list!

> Take care,

> Justin Romack | Assistant Director

> Disability Resources | Texas A&M University

> 1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

> ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu | disability.tamu.edu

> DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS | One Division. One Mission.

Wink Harner Assistive Technology Consulting and Training Alternative Text
Production Portland OR. foreigntype at gmail.com 480-984-0034