[Athen] [EXTERNAL] - Bluetooth microphone for Otter.ai in classrooms

Hayman, Douglass dhayman at olympic.edu
Wed Aug 23 10:13:04 PDT 2023

Jeremy,

Not a microphone answer but something to consider in your student's setup.

Will the student be sitting in class with plans of having the mic at his/her laptop? Or will the mic be situated on or near the instructor and sending signal to the student's laptop?

We used to borrow a Bluetooth mic from another group on campus when I worked at UW. With multiple presenters each using microphones to speak and the audience/class listening via a PA system, we'd locate the microphone near a PA speaker (not too close). If it was just one presenter, then that person would wear the mic on them.

With the microphone staying with the student out in the classroom, the results may be all over the place depending on the presenter's location (walking and talking, back facing the audience while writing on a whiteboard).

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College