[Athen] Visual processing and difficulty completing clinical forms

Romack, Justin justinr at disability.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:41:55 PST 2023

Howdy ATHEN friends!

One of our accommodations staff members is working with a student diagnosed with visual processing difficulties who is in a clinical setting for a veterinary medicine program.

The student is struggling with the cluttered nature of the attached forms (noting space and contrast as issues) and is also struggling with tracking and processing as they complete some of the graphing / data plotting on the form.

Relevant context: I'm totally blind and struggling to conceptualize this form based on how it's been described. It overwhelms me to be honest, so I completely empathize with the student.

What suggestions would you have in supporting the student's difficulty with processing / tracking as they add data to the table fields?

Based on my understanding of the barrier and the form's current presentation, possibly adding alternating contrasting colors for the rows in some of the tabular spaces could assist...

The form can be modified, but all of the current fields and datapoints must be captured and all must fit on one page.

We'd tried enlarging to an 11X17 sheet of paper... but this also wasn't helpful.

Eager for ideas from this creative bunch!

Thanks,

Justin Romack | Assistant Director
Disability Resources | Texas A&M University
1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu<mailto:justinr at disability.tamu.edu> | disability.tamu.edu
DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS | One Division. One Mission.