[Athen] [EXTERNAL] - Visual processing and difficulty completing clinical forms

Hayman, Douglass dhayman at olympic.edu
Fri Feb 3 12:33:46 PST 2023

Justin,

What I notice with this form is that they are trying to cram as much data as they can on a standard size piece of paper. It would not only be problematic for someone with visual issues but also for someone with dexterity issues as well. Many of the entry fields are a pencil lead's width wide, some checkboxes are half that size.

The form creator may have been striving to get everything on one page for some dated purpose, perhaps imagining a vet later wanting to quickly scan a document on a clipboard. If a vet still needs so much data on one small page then perhaps the data entry could be on something else that then prints out to a final form.

Or better yet, an app that allowed entry of all those stats and then had tabs one could access one by one would be more useful. The do have a grey band up the left hand margin with categories like:

Bid Gas, Local block, Agent and so on.

Bare minimum would be making that document form entry two or three times enlarged if being written in manually, say a trifold sheet.

If done by computer it should be larger for visibility and enter the forms and then some kind of 8.5-inch by 11 could be the output for a 20/20 sighted user.

It reminds me of looking at a circuitboard filled with components. The tight arrangement of such is fine when it is your smart phone's innards. Not so good if you're trying to read all of the tiny labels on the components tightly spaced merely because you want a phone that is 3 by 4 inches in size.

Perhaps this student would be one of the world's best vets if provided a reasonable sized chart to fill in by hand or by computer. It would be a shame to stick to "Everyone else can use this, maybe you're not cut out for this kind of work."

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College