[Athen] Akkadian Language

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:52:49 PST 2023

Hi Lorraine,
You might contact Wycliffe Bible Translation association to see if they
have this capability. I've used them in the past for access to type fonts
in ancient (biblical) languages. I assume all of this would depend on the
context. If there is a typeface available, your worst case scenario would
be retyping (switching fonts) between an English font and an Akkadian one.
If your goal is to convert to ALT text for a text to speech output, you
might also ask Wycliffe for phonetic spellings of the Akkadian vocabulary
as no TTS engine I know of renders Akkadian pronunciation! If using
something sophisticated like Abbyy FineReader pro for the OCR, your editing
would include correcting the input on the misrecognized "Akkadian" for
correct spelling.

If on the bright side this is a biblical studies text which includes
Akkadian, it's possible that one of the universities such as Chicago
Theological Seminary, Princeton, Yale or other colleges which offer ancient
languages (including Akkadian) or theological studies of ancient biblical
texts might be able to help. Even hiring one of their grad students with
functional literacy in Akkadian would be helpful!

My 2 shekels (money used in the Akkadian Empire).

Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com
480-984-0034

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .