[Athen] Needing advice on student with low vision

Normajean.Brand normajean.brand at hccs.edu
Thu Feb 23 14:09:25 PST 2023

Hello Hive!
I have a student with low vision in culinary program wants to use a mandolin/slicer in lieu of the knife skills portion of the course as an accommodation. I’ve had 2 blind students (blind since early age) who successfully graduated from the culinary program without an accommodation for the knife skills portion of the courses, and 2 other low vision who were also successful. One you may have heard of, if you follow any cooking shows, is Christine Ha.

I do understand that each person’s experience with their vision is different and dependent on many factors, but should I be worried about the risk factors of using a mandolin vs a knife? Should we think about the mandolin, which other students wouldn’t have access to, be an alteration of the essential course objectives?

In a former career, I saw the aftermath of what a mandolin can do but also what damage knifework can do as well. Not pretty.

Just needing some collective thoughts and guidance in advance.

Thank you!
NJ

NJ Brand, (she/her/hers; Dyslexic, ADHD, PsA, Fibro, Migraine- Let’s destigmatize disabilities!)
BAAS-Psych, ATAC, ADA Tech/Assistive Technology Technician, Center for Learning Innovation
● Spring Branch Campus ● Suite RC12/13 ● T: 713.718.5604 ● F:713.718.5430
● HCCS<http://hccs.edu/> <http://hccs.edu/> ● Counseling & Ability Services<https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/counseling/> ● AT at HCCS<https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/ability-services/assistive-technology/> ● Teaching & Learning Center for Innovation<https://www.hccs.edu/departments/division-of-instructional-services/teaching--learning-innovation/>
Accessibility and Inclusion are shared institutional responsibilities. #ally #highered #inclusion
[Houston Community College logo]<http://www.hccs.edu/>

Confidential - Do Not Copy or Distribute: This message may contain confidential information. It is intended only for the individuals(s) named herein. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error) please notify the sender immediately. This message may also be legally privileged. If you are not the named addressee(s), you must delete this email immediately. Do not disseminate, distribute, or copy.