[Athen] CASAS Adult Ed standardized testing products

Sean Loraas sloraas at austincc.edu
Wed Jun 21 14:14:21 PDT 2023

Colleagues,
Has anyone managed to provide students using screen reader & TTS technology
an equitable standardized testing experience taking any of the CASAS adult
education testing products?

We are trying to do some testing of the platform and assessments, but
haven't had success gaining access to the content. When we did we found
image based pages without descriptions. I don't think this was their
"accessible" product.

Just wondering if all the claims of "screen reader accessible" checks out
for students' usability. Concerned about math reading properly, with
described visuals. We have students with visual disabilities who don't read
Braille or tactile graphics.

We have found a lot if emphasis on reader/scribe as the go-to
accommodation. Can a screen reader user take their accessible assessment
without human assistance?

Thank you all in advance for your time and expertise. Best,

Sean Loraas

Accessibility Technician
Alt. Text & Media
Austin Community College