[Athen] Captioning question

Cassie Kilroy Thompson mthomps2 at umbc.edu
Wed Feb 7 11:45:30 PST 2024

I have this quote hanging on my wall but can't for the life of me determine
it's origin. It is quoted on many sites which are likely fair use
exceptions in themselves:

> Current U.S. copyright law lacks a blanket exception for accessibility

> (concerning learners with disabilities), relying instead on a patchwork of

> statutory exceptions and the doctrine of fair use.

> There are debates about whether universities qualify as authorized

> entities, but universities generally argue that they qualify due to legal

> obligations (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with

> Disabilities Act (ADA) and educational purposes-- just as an organization

> such as the National Library Service for the Blind.

See also Hathi Trust, Chaffee, and WIPO (World Intellectual Property
Organization).
~~~~
*Cassie Kilroy Thompson (she/hers)*
*Assistant Director: Student Services and Operations*
*email: mthomps2 at umbc.edu <mthomps2 at umbc.edu>*
Phone: 410-455-3248
My Virtual Office
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vSHHu3xOBajGwYpMMsZFTNEBF4gEQ5nqo5Vz2hohnZeLTt9aVtsoQ44cpC4XI9rywkWGvB6AeBxq8r8/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.p>