[Athen] Hebrew language OCR

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:57:35 PST 2024

A tidbit of techy information for those who are interested
in text-to-speech or screen reading tips for Hebrew.

Here is a really good text-to-speech program for Hebrew: Narakeet
<https://www.narakeet.com/tools/>.

In keeping with the state slogan from Missouri "Show Me," I decided to test
this out this morning and ran the first chapter of the book of Ruth in
Hebrew, saved as a PDF file and ran it through Abbyy Fine Reader, selecting
English & Hebrew as the recognition languages. I uploaded the file to
Narakeet . My Hebrew is somewhat rusty now, but from what I could tell it
read the file correctly. I do remember in my foreign language translation
profession days that there was some trick to typing Hebrew incorrectly in
the Microsoft operating system software to get the vowels to be placed
properly. Now with an international version of the Microsoft operating
system it's easy enough to switch the direction in which a language is
written, in this case right to left, and the vowels are placed correctly
after the consonants.

Jaws 18
<https://support.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWSWhatsNew?version=18#:~:text=Starting%20with%20JAWS%2018%2C%20we,version%20of%20JAWS%20including%20English.>
is
now available and works in Hebrew with right to left reading capabilities.

What is the output you need for your student? Text-to-speech? Screen reader
accessible? Braille?

If your student needs to have this in EPUB format, here's some information
on how to convert to an EPUB 3 for access in Hebrew.
<https://ebooks.stackexchange.com/questions/6804/can-kobo-read-hebrew-epubs>

Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .