[Athen] Hebrew language OCR

D Krahmer dkrahmer2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 07:30:06 PST 2024

Thank you Lorraine, I'm reaching out to them!

Wink, that information is super helpful! The situation is that a PhD
student is doing their thesis on the history of Jewish Poetry, and we're
trying to get them accessible pdf/epubs of some out of print books where
the publisher has disappeared/non-responsive. With Abbyy OCR (newest
version) and Omnipage, they're just getting gibberish, which might be
related to the known issue with Arabic with Abbyy (it still has issues with
the right-to-left text). Or it might be because these are high level
academic texts in Older Hebrew with Modern annotations. We have no in-house
expertise, and the vendors we've contacted refused because they can't
guarantee accurate and accessible Hebrew.

The dept is in the process of hiring an expert, but it'll take a very long
time and doesn't help the student access these texts right now. We're also
looking at perhaps doing high quality scans of the books that the student
can use intensive magnification on. So any help or suggestions or referrals
are appreciated!

Thanks,
D.