[Athen] Textbook Scanner Recommendations

Cathy Sidor csidor at umich.edu
Thu Jan 18 12:28:06 PST 2024

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all staying warm! I am reaching out in hopes some of you may
have recommendations regarding scanners and software to provide alternative
formats for textbooks. We first try to find the books in Accesstext,
Bookshare and direct outreach to publishers for accessible files. However,
in some instances we have had to send the books out to have the spine of a
book cut off in order to scan the book files to remediate them.

Our Canon DR-9050C scanner that we used with Capture Perfect software has
died and we are looking for replacement options for a high speed duplex
scanner. We do have Omnipage Ultimate software to create word files to make
them accessible from our scans. I have read a little that overhead scanners
may be better than having to send the book out to be cut, scanned then
rebound.

Any and all information on the models and software your office may use to
scan textbooks is appreciated.
Thank you,
Cathy

--
Cathy Sidor (she/her/hers)
Hear me say my name

*Restrictions to Email Communication Email is not secure and
confidentiality cannot be guaranteed. Information in this message may be
privileged or confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s). If you received this in error, please delete it from all
computers and contact the sender. If you are in crisis, do not use email to
contact Disability and Accessibility Services. For life-threatening
emergencies during evenings, weekends, and university closures visit your
nearest hospital emergency department. On campus, you may also contact
University of Michigan Dearborn Police at 313-593-5333. For non-life
threatening mental health issues please contact Counseling and
Psychological Services at 313-593-5430 and press 2 if it is after business
hours, weekends or during a university closure. *