[Biostudent] Research - Undergraduate Opportunity

Jason L. Patterson patterj at uw.edu
Wed Oct 5 16:10:26 PDT 2022

UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE IN EVOLUTION-ECOLOGY
Starting Autumn 2022

I am Alex Lowe, a PhD student in Biology in the Strömberg Lab (http://www.stromberglab.org/) where we study ancient plant ecology. I am seeking undergraduate students to help with an ongoing project studying how PNW regional climate responded to ancient climate change events using fossil leaves.

Measuring Fossil Leaf Traits
Did you know that plant species in colder climates tend to have more toothed or lobes leaves than those in warmer climates? Or species have larger leaves in wetter climates than they do in dry climates? We can actually use these quantitative relationships to reconstruct climate in Earth’s past!

This project will use fossil leaves to understand how regional climate in the PNW responded to Earth most recent major global warming event, ~17 million years ago. This position would involve digitally preparing and measuring fossil leaves sampled from fossil sites in the PNW. A fossil leaf from Idaho from the height of the warming event, prepared and ready for measurement.

Perks
✓ The work is done on your own computer and the schedule is completely flexible
✓ Begin to understand the language of leaves!
✓ Bi-weekly reading club to learn more about the science behind this work
✓ Join the Strömberg lab, a great, friendly, and easy going community!
✓ Opportunity for independent research later down the road

Requirements/logistics:
o I would ask for at least 5 hours of work a week
o This position would be volunteer for autumn quarter. If you are a good fit and wish to continue for the rest of the year, you could sign up to get research credits for winter and spring quarters.
o Training and necessary software will be provided
o I am very happy to discuss accommodations, so please do not hesitate to reach out and ask!
o Training will begin the week of Oct. 17th

How to apply: Please send me an email (loweaj01 at uw.edu<mailto:loweaj01 at uw.edu>) with a CV or resume and a short explanation of why this project interests you. Or email me with questions!

Jason Patterson, M Ed. (He/Him)
Academic Counselor Senior, Department of Biology
patterj at u.washington.edu<mailto:patterj at u.washington.edu>
318 HCK, University of Washington, BOX 355320 Phone: 206-543-7767
http://www.biology.washington.edu/programs/undergraduate
Biology Zoom drop-in advising hours (10-15 min meetings):
Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
My Regular Drop in Zoom days: Tues, Thurs 1-4 pm, and Mon, Tues, Weds, Thursday 9-12pm.
Zoom link for those hours: https://washington.zoom.us/j/97207369544

Advising Sessions Via EMAIL, PHONE, and ZOOM. In person individual advising available by appointment only.

Appointments by request. Please include your name and student number in your emails.