[Biostudent] STEM Alternative Spring Break /NOV 4th Priority Application Deadline

biolprog at uw.edu biolprog at uw.edu
Tue Oct 11 14:14:20 PDT 2022

STEM Alternative Spring Break /NOV 4th Priority Application Deadline

Hello!

UW Riverways Education Partnerships has an opportunity for UW students to
facilitate hands-on science curriculum to K-12 students in communities
across Washington over Spring Break! This opportunity also involves
participating in a seminar winter quarter to prepare prior to the week of
teaching. Please help us spread the word about STEM ASB!

Students in the Biology Department have interests and skills that are highly
desired by the rural and tribal communities that we work with over Spring
Break. This is an excellent opportunity for students to gain experience in
curriculum-building, teaching, engaging in cultural exchange and
exploration, and educational equity discussions. Thank you for sharing this
opportunity with them!

If you have any questions about these programs, do not hesitate to reach
out! Please contact us at riverways at uw.edu <mailto:riverways at uw.edu> .

Thank you!

***

<http://cele.uw.edu/students/opportunities/riverways-rural-tribal-programs/s
tem-asb/> Join STEM ASB & CASE ASB

Through STEM ASB, UW students engage middle and high school students in
hands-on STEM curriculum during the UW's Spring Break! Join us to inspire
the leadership, learning capacities, and interest in science among youth of
the Yakama Nation and Yakima Valley!

Additionally, check out our Culture and Science Exchange (CASE) Program,
which, in addition to ASB, provides a 2-quarter (Winter/Spring) class with
extended outreach opportunities. You can expect to gain valuable experience
as an educator and how to build relationships with youth and communities.

Winter Quarter: You'll take a 3-credit Winter Quarter Seminar (T/TH:
4:30-5:50). You'll learn strategies for building curricula, managing a
classroom, and teaching with a focus on equity. You'll work with your team
to finalize your curriculum.

Spring Break: You'll travel with a team to one of our partner schools. You
will stay at your program site and spend each day facilitating STEM
activities at the school and connecting with the students and community.

Deadline: Nov 4th, 2022

Apply to STEM/CASE ASB
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6fCdp
EgDFQZ1sDnHEJ6_elw6e48b3OslkmwTY0cl28GynGg/viewform__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!mchZfd_J
vlwfFUx6xlOPKkJRgnUUfUQoHSERcLohndkpf-uuwl4kEnpWpquwx2d8fd6-c9R_Clw$> here
[docs.google.com]!

Questions: riverways at uw.edu <mailto:riverways at uw.edu>

Alison Horn (she/her)

Equity in STEM Coordinator

UW Riverways Education Partnerships

171 Mary Gates Hall, Box 352803, Seattle, WA 98195-2805

206-616-2302 / ah78 at uw.edu <mailto:ah78 at uw.edu>

The University of Washington acknowledges the Coast Salish peoples of this
land, the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands
within the Suquamish, Tulalip and Muckleshoot nations.

We acknowledge the people - past, present, and future - of the
Dkhw'Duw'Absh, the Duwamish Tribe, the Muckleshoot Tribe, and other tribes
on whose traditional lands we study and work.