[Biostudent] "Andes to Amazon: Biodiversity, conservation and Sustainability in Peru"

Biology Advising bioladv at uw.edu
Mon Feb 13 09:44:59 PST 2023

We are seeking applicants to our Early Fall Study Abroad course, "Andes to Amazon: Biodiversity, conservation and Sustainability in Peru". This program offers the opportunity to make an ecological and cultural exploration in one of the most biodiverse places of the world, the Tropical Andes and Amazon of southeastern Peru. Students learn about the natural history, ecology and conservation of a number of species and habitats along an outstanding altitudinal gradient (from +4,000-200 masl) that goes from high Andean mountains in Cusco to lowland Amazonian rainforest of Madre de Dios. Along these areas, students also learn first-hand about traditional uses of resources by local communities, and the current environmental and economical challenges they face in this unprecedented time of ecosystem degradation. In this program students will have the opportunity to learn field ecology methods and to conduct a short research project in the rainforest. Students will also engage in reflective practices and in exercises that combine science and creativity. The program will run from August 25-September 19, 2023.

The priority deadline for applications is 15 Feb, and financial aid resources are available, although these are allocated first to those who apply by the priority deadline.

Below is the link to our program site with more details, application process and the upcoming info sessions. There will be one additional information session on Monday, February 13 at Noon.
https://studyabroad.washington.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgramAngular&id=10738 <https://studyabroad.washington.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgramAngular&id=10738>

We would be very grateful if you could circulate this announcement to your students. We recently learned that post-bac students can also enroll, so even our graduating seniors are eligible.

Thank you!!

Very best wishes,
Martha Groom & Ursula Valdez
Faculty in Environmental Studies and Conservation and Restoration Science
UW Bothell

--
Martha Groom, she/hers

I am a settler to the lands and waters where I live and work. The UWB & UW campuses sit on unceded lands and waters of the tribes and bands of Coast Salish peoples, who are still here and active in these spaces. I am grateful for their stewardship since time immemorial, and commit to support their sovereignty.

Black lives matter.
Resources <https://www.washington.edu/raceequity/resources/anti-racism-resources/> to help become anti-racist