[Biostudent] FW: Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge Internship Posting

BIOLOGY bioladv at uw.edu
Mon Sep 11 11:30:31 PDT 2023

Hello, my name is Karagan LaJoie and I am a Wildlife Interpreter at Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge (TCWR). I am emailing you today in regards to our post internship opportunities for animal care and education. We are one of eleven accredited sanctuaries through the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries rescuing exotic big cats and bears from the exotic pet trade/entertainment industry. TCWR has been rescuing big cats since 1992, providing a forever home and vet care to animals that have been abused and neglected.

Our internship program was formed in 1997 and has graduated 450 interns since its creation. Since the beginning of the program, 90% of our interns have been successful in securing a job in the animal related field from veterinarians to animal keepers at other true accredited sanctuaries and zoos. Our own veterinarian started here as an intern, became a staff member, left for vet school and came right back.

We have always mailed a flyer to the career centers and biology departments. However, we know everything is going digital via Handshake and other platforms. We already post on handshake, but are still developing a flyer for the schools. We are emailing you to ask for your assistance in sending the attached flyer to your prospective students and biology departments whether it is printing it for you bulletin board, sending it to them directly, or sharing on your platform. We would really appreciate your help in sharing our internship opportunities. We have seen a change in the number of applicants compared to the past and hope that this will help further spread our mission.

I have included our Animal Curator's contact below as well for your use if needed. If any students are interested and want to reach out directly, they can email me at this email or Emily McCormick, our Animal Curator. Thank you again for your support.

Animal Curator, Emily McCormick

emily at tcwr.org<mailto:emily at tcwr.org>

Karagan LaJoie
Education Department/Wildlife Interpreter
Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.turpentinecreek.org/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gLOH_2ClC1EZLmnJ9WbxbkTlJiTKwZisemgHZ8rHotckk5iGiorOCh40yLA8Rhj5lPJ2uqDNAdCBtZc$>
239 Turpentine Creek Lane
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
479-253-5841
[https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/mail-sig/AIorK4wKHJxB5V-ZiXabezLiJM7MpoiVR9cqy6jtefjsNVIxn92EIBTcm_07JaopvFxMS-VYtaOHYaQ]

Facebook<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/TurpentineCreekWildlifeRefuge__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gLOH_2ClC1EZLmnJ9WbxbkTlJiTKwZisemgHZ8rHotckk5iGiorOCh40yLA8Rhj5lPJ2uqDNzDGrs5k$> | Twitter<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/turpentinecreek__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gLOH_2ClC1EZLmnJ9WbxbkTlJiTKwZisemgHZ8rHotckk5iGiorOCh40yLA8Rhj5lPJ2uqDN-6pNm0E$> | Instagram<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.instagram.com/turpentinecreek__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gLOH_2ClC1EZLmnJ9WbxbkTlJiTKwZisemgHZ8rHotckk5iGiorOCh40yLA8Rhj5lPJ2uqDNxnozkFo$>
YouTube<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/user/TurpentineCreek__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gLOH_2ClC1EZLmnJ9WbxbkTlJiTKwZisemgHZ8rHotckk5iGiorOCh40yLA8Rhj5lPJ2uqDNV4Rwy8k$> | GreatNonprofits | GuideStar<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.guidestar.org/profile/71-0721742__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gLOH_2ClC1EZLmnJ9WbxbkTlJiTKwZisemgHZ8rHotckk5iGiorOCh40yLA8Rhj5lPJ2uqDN1SAj1kc$>