[Alpine-info] PGP encryption in Alpine?

Adrian C. via Alpine-info alpine-info at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 10 06:50:12 PDT 2024

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024, Carl Edquist via Alpine-info wrote:

> I'm curious if there is a recommended way to get PGP working with

> Alpine, to read and send PGP encrypted mails?

Inline is simple. For multipart I used it with Topal for over a decade
sucesfully.

Two Topal patches are applied to Alpine sources and then here's the
shortest tutorial on what you actually need to use it (dos2unix,
metamail...):

https://sysphere.org/~anrxc/j/archives/2009/06/24/notes_on_alpine_and_gnupg/index.html

However around 2021 with Alpine 2.24 it no longer worked as seemlessly
as it used to when opening multipart messages. No longer was I seeing
"Good signature" automatically displayed... I had to start exporting
message to a file then running topal on it manually. I don't know what
changed in Alpine back then, maybe it was fixed since.