[Athen] Update for captioned QT movies and iPods

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Thu Feb 22 11:37:07 PST 2007

Hello all,

Jayme and I have been doing some additional testing for creating captioned
videos for the video iPod and iTunes and have found different preset values
work better when converting the captioned video for video iPods or iTunes
delivery.

In Macaw, under the "Make Style Choices" screen, we suggests the following
presets:

Type Size: 18 pt

Caption Height: 48 pt

Text and Background Colors: White Text on Black Background

Justification: Center

The training manual has been updated on the HTCTU site.

If the intent is to display the captioned movie using iTunes (or for
delivery on the iPod), make sure to export the movie from QuickTime Pro as
MPEG-4. The MPEG-4 format will retain the caption track as part of the
overall movie. If you export the captioned movie from QuickTime Pro for the
iPod (.m4v format), then you seem to lose the caption content. We are doing
some additional checking, but to retain the movie with captions, go with the
MPEG-4 export.

The iTunes application itself is still not very accessible for assistive
computer technology so that is a major issue that needs to be resolved by
Apple.

Take care,
Sean

Sean Keegan
Web Accessibility Instructor
High Tech Center Training Unit of the California Community Colleges