[Athen] AHEAD E-Text Site Update

Marks, Jim marks at mso.umt.edu
Wed Jul 25 12:54:04 PDT 2007

The NFB would not take sole credit for the adoption of NIMAS or NIMAC
because there were so many groups and individuals involved. But there
would be no opportunity for others to join the effort if the NFB had not
started pushing its state Braille bills 20 years ago. A national
solution follows the state adoptions, and I think this pattern is being
repeated for higher education just like it happened in K-12. In the
case of higher education, though, there are lots and lots of groups and
individuals other than the NFB involved from the outset. For instance,
it looks like the NFB had little to do with the Oregon law. Sure makes
for interesting times when there are so many cooks doing their thing.
Wouldn't have it any other way, though.

Jim Marks
Director of Disability Services
University of Montana