[Athen] Capturing Information on a Board

Wink Harner wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu
Mon Feb 18 21:51:51 PST 2008

Hi Athenites,

I would like to add to Shelley's rapt endorsement of Mimio: to encourage
the use of the technology built into the SMARTBOARD. You will need laptop
or computer in the classroom. The SMARTBOARD takes a photo of what's written
on the board. These snapshots of what's written on the board are saved to
the laptop/computer as JPEG images. With a direct connection to the SMARTBOARD,
the student can see & then save the images and view in enlarged size(s) on
the laptop/computer. For the advantage of the whole class, if the instructor
is using the SMARTBOARD with a laptop/computer, s/he can save each class's
boards as a series of JPEG images and post on the dept. website, class's
Blackboard or WEBCT for future study sessions or classes, etc., making it
accessible for one and available to all.

Mimio gives the student ability to be completely independent in using the
accommodation. The instructor is key in the use of SMARTBOARD technology
yet adds a great deal towards the integration of universal design techniques.
Both have advantages. I guess in weighing one versus the other would depend
on the limitation of the student's vision and ability to manipulate the Mimio
camera and evaluate which would be the best choice.

Hope this is helpful!

Blessings,

Wink