[Athen] Capturing Information on a Board

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:31:13 PST 2008

I am confused! If the files are images how does this make the content
available to all?? What about those of us who are blind???

At 09:51 PM 2/18/2008, you wrote:

>Hi Athenites,

>I would like to add to Shelley's rapt endorsement of Mimio: to encourage

>the use of the technology built into the SMARTBOARD. You will need laptop

>or computer in the classroom. The SMARTBOARD takes a photo of what's written

>on the board. These snapshots of what's written on the board are saved to

>the laptop/computer as JPEG images. With a direct connection to the

>SMARTBOARD,

>the student can see & then save the images and view in enlarged size(s) on

>the laptop/computer. For the advantage of the whole class, if the instructor

>is using the SMARTBOARD with a laptop/computer, s/he can save each class's

>boards as a series of JPEG images and post on the dept. website, class's

>Blackboard or WEBCT for future study sessions or classes, etc., making it

>accessible for one and available to all.

>Mimio gives the student ability to be completely independent in using the

>accommodation. The instructor is key in the use of SMARTBOARD technology

>yet adds a great deal towards the integration of universal design techniques.

>Both have advantages. I guess in weighing one versus the other would depend

>on the limitation of the student's vision and ability to manipulate the Mimio

>camera and evaluate which would be the best choice.

>Hope this is helpful!

>Blessings,

>Wink

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
Laguna Hills CA (949) 855-4852
CEO EASI
http://easi.cc

EASI January 2008events
http://easi.cc

5 exciting Webinars 3 of which are public and have no charge
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

2 online courses:
Barrier-free Information Technology
Creating and Repurposing More Accessible Content
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm

Podcasts and Vodcasts
http://easi.cc/podcasts