[Athen] New AT Degree Proposed

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Mon Jul 7 16:02:49 PDT 2008

Subject: CSUN Survey for New MS Degree in Assistive Technology

Dear colleague,

We are constructing a master's degree program to address the need for human
services professionals with knowledge of assistive technologies. This
degree will include coursework related to policy, anatomy, physiology,
disease, chronic medical conditions, human factors, assistive technology
across the lifespan, assistive technology assessment, and human services,
among other topics. We would like your input in determining a name for this
degree program, as we are interested in learning what you believe would be
the most appealing and professionally advantageous degree title to
professionals like yourself. Our first working title is "Human Services in
Assistive Technology." The following is a draft of our initial course
offerings.

Human Services in Assistive Technology
Core
. Biological applications in assistive technology (3)
. Human factors and applied behavior analysis (3)
. Seminar - Topics in assistive and rehabilitative technologies (3)
. Capstone experience (3)

Discipline-specific courses
. Anatomy, physiology, disease and chronic medical conditions (3)
. Assistive technology across the lifespan (3)
. Human Services/psychology/counseling (3)
. History, law, assistive technology and policy (3)
. Assistive technology assessment and outcome measurements (3)
. Research methods, ethics and statistics (6)

Portfolio
. Portfolios will be used for benchmarks and milestone assignments along the
way, such as group projects, internship reports and shadowing reflections.

Based on this information, we would greatly appreciate your input by
responding the to the 5 minute survey link
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=U1z51d97oPtFv_2fzuW43Ifw_3d_3d.

Thank you in advance for your valued feedback.

Dr. Vicky Jaque, Academic Director

S. Victoria Jaque, PhD
Associate Professor
Graduate Coordinator