[Athen] ACT Job Opening at Lions Center for the Blind in Oakland, CA
gdietrich at htctu.net
Tue Feb 3 13:16:24 PST 2009
Please forgive cross postings...
Lions Center for the Blind in Oakland, CA
JOB TITLE: Computer Instructor
REPORT TO: Executive Director
The Computer Instructor provides computer skills training to adults with
visual impairments and/or multiple disabilities in Alameda, Contra Costa,
and Solano counties. The Computer Instructor will also train clients on the
use of other adaptive/assistive devices and services. Employee must
participate in all programs as required.
MAJOR FUNCTIONAL AREAS AND DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
1. Perform assessments of students' computer skills.
2. Develop individualized goals and objectives based on student needs and
track student progress relative to goals and objectives.
3. Teach classes using appropriate curricula geared towards students'
individual learning styles and abilities.
4. Assist and collaborate with staff on developing class/individual
5. Develop creative teaching techniques to promote learning.
6. Maintain clear and detailed student records daily; submit student
progress reports on a timely basis; complete other administrative tasks as
7. Remain current on new and developing technologies and innovating teaching
8. Participate in community awareness and outreach programs, including
conducting workshops and seminars, participating in health fairs and other
industry fairs, conducting in-service training sessions, and teaching group
9. Perform data entry on Center's Online Data Management System (ODM).
10. Perform other duties as requested.
11. Participate in the Quality Assurance and accreditation/certification
processes for the agency.
12. Attend staff meetings and training sessions.
13. Fulfill duties related to Health & Safety Program as member of the
Health & Safety Committee.
. Maintain a safe work environment.
. Participate in all scheduled Health & Safety meetings.
QUALIFICATIONS, ABILITIES & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
. Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science preferred, or commensurate
. Knowledge of current principles of instruction in adaptive technology and
the education of adults with visual impairments
. Access Technology Institute certification or similar
. Proficiency in the following adaptive/assistive technology: Jaws, Magic,
OpenBook, WindowEyes, and ZoomText (levels 1 and 2); ability to work with
. The following equipment, hardware, and software: PCs, scanners, printers,
CCTVs, Windows Operating Systems 98, ME, 2000, and XP, Microsoft Office
Suite, Outlook and Express, and Internet Explorer
. MicroSoft Certified
. Two years' experience providing instruction in computers
. Experience providing instruction in adaptive/assistive technology
. Experience teaching the blind and visually impaired
. Experience working with people with multiple disabilities preferred
. Ability to lift 30 lbs; lift overhead up to 20 lbs
. Sit up to eight hours a day
. Stand up to four hours a day
. Must be able to reach over own head and stoop to retrieve items from
SPECIAL NOTATIONS OR CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
. Finger printing, criminal- and job-related background check required
. Current certification is required for First AID and CPR
Please email your resume to victoria_estrada at lbcenter.org. We will contact
all qualified applicants. Interviews will generally be scheduled at 10 a.m.
or 2 p.m., so once we have contacted you, please be prepared to interview at
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the athen-list