[Athen] Caption Mic

Christopher E Kinney Christopher.Kinney at gpc.edu
Thu Feb 19 06:09:00 PST 2009

Hi Guys,

Our college is looking to use Caption Mic for our captioning needs. Has anyone had any experience of using it? From what I've read I'm assuming it's to provide real time captioning for online audio output.

Can it be used for video?

What is the rate of accuracy from audio output to captioning?

Thanks,

Christopher Kinney
Assistive Technology Coordinator
Center for Disability Services
Georgia Perimeter College
555 N. Indian Creek Drive
Clarkston GA 30021

TEL: 678-891-3385
FAX: 404-298-3830

Caption Mic -remote captioning for CART and Distance Learning.

Creating classroom access for a deaf and hard of hearing student has always been an expensive and challenging proposition.

Caption Mic changes that.

Caption Mic gives you control over the resources, costs and process of creating captions for individual students and distance learning classes.

Our newest feature allows the voice captioner (VC) to work outside of the classroom. They can be at a central spot on campus, in their own homes or across the country. This gives you greater flexibility and more options to provide CART services. And it provides your students with the access that they need and the independence and anonymity they deserve. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1gRe7gx2o

How does it work?

Caption Mic can use your existing Distance Learning platform or platforms such as Elluminate to create a path for both the classroom audio and the caption data. The VC hears the audio and creates the captions. The captions appear on the student notebook computer.

Additional benefits.

The caption data can be saved as notes for the student and can also be used to create caption files for both your live and your on-demand distance learning classes. A further benefit of captioning your media is the ability to index and search your media based on the timed caption data.

Caption Mic - the basics

Caption Mic has been in use in classrooms since 2004. A person (voice captioner) trains the software to their voice and then repeats what the speakers are saying in a class. The captions can be displayed in a variety of manners. The VC adds punctuation verbally, identifies speakers and adds vocabulary as necessary.

The VC can be an existing staff member or a new hire. 100% of all native speakers can create a voice profile in under two hours. 60 to 70% of people have the innate ability to mimic or repeat what they hear. Training time varies from person to person. Some do very well within two days and others need to practice for several weeks.

Typical labor rates for a Caption Mic VC range from $10 to $15 per hour.

What is required:

Captioner in the classroom

Caption Mic software

Windows computer with XP Pro

mask microphone

Remote captioner

Caption Mic software

Windows computer with XP Pro

headset microphone (VC)

wireless microphone (classroom)

Student wireless notebook (Mac or PC)

High speed internet access for both the VC and the classroom

Caption Mic helps you decrease your costs and increase access for your hearing impaired students.

For more information on Caption Mic please watch our videos on YouTube:

Caption Mic - Remote captioning for CART and Distance Learning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1gRe7gx2o

Caption Mic Classroom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTz-AZI57Ss

Caption Mic - Postproduction Captioning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6jEuubcZLE

All of our YouTube videos are captioned using Caption Mic and Caption Wrap.

Please contact me if I can be of further service.

Regards,

Mark Hall

Mark Hall Sales Associates LLC

203-574-5128