[Athen] OCR for Documents with Neat Handwriting?

Nettie Fischer nettiet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 10:51:47 PST 2009

not software but, Fly Fusion (I purchssed a kit for 35.00 on special and ti
came with 2 notebooks. when yuo write in the notebook, it can be
transcribed to print format. Also, tablet computers offer the same option
but, handwritng must be neat and of course the trick is to get proficient
enough so yu dont lose downtime.

Nettie

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Todd Schwanke <tschwanke at wisc.edu> wrote:

> We have a professor who uses a hand written reader for his course that a

> student needs in audio format (either through recording or e-text). It is

> very neatly printed (not script), but has a slight italic look to it.

> Standard OCR attempts do OK on the blocky all caps titles, but when it gets

> to the paragraphs that look more like italic the recognition has too many

> errors to be edited.

> Before we engage on more manual attempts at converting this to e-text or a

> digital recording, does anyone have any software suggestions, tips/tricks,

> or processes that might work on fairly neat handwriting? We've tried

> FineReader & Scansoft settings in Kurzweil and Microsoft Document Imaging.

> I can email a snippet off-list if that is helpful to see.

> Thanks, Todd

Nettie T. Fischer, ATP
Assistive Technology Practitioner
nettiet, ATP Consultants