[Athen] Mac vs. Windows for low vision & speech recognition

Christopher Doucet christopher.doucet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 07:33:03 PDT 2009

Hi Howard,

Most of the Mac keyboard shortcuts are activated when using VoiceOver
along with the Zoom feature (setting the VoiceOver cursor to follow the
mouse and keyboard cursors will also allow the user greater ease of
access with Zoom). The most troubling part of the situation is
MacSpeech Dictate. The software works well with simple dictation, but
the commands are awkward and not always recognized by the software.
This has slightly improved with recent updates, but I am still not
pleased with the commands. If the user wants only to dictate papers,
then a Mac should suffice. If they want to navigate the computer using
only their voice, I would recommend a Windows machine.

Best,
Chris

Chris Doucet
Academic Computing Analyst