[Athen] Remote realtime Captioning?

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at msu.edu
Tue Mar 24 08:13:44 PDT 2009

Hello,

Just curious as to whether others are offering any internet based remote
realtime captioning services to students? If so, what sort of setup are
you using? Currently, We are experimenting with the process. We've
cobbled together a system that works as follows;

Student takes a laptop to class. The laptop has Skype and the Lotus
Unyte desktop sharing software installed. Student skypes the captioner
and they begin desktop sharing.

In some of our big lecture halls, when available, we have connected the
student's laptop directly into the room's FM system.

Over all, results have been mixed. When things work, they work
relatively well; However, audio reception of questions from other
students is problematic. We've also experienced any number of
internet/bandwidth related issues. I think many of those are due to the
fact that students are typically connected to the net via wireless.
I've recommended we hard wire whenever possible; but that's often easier
said than done.

In any case if others are doing this sort of thing, I would be very
interested in sharing experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Al Puzzuoli

Michigan State University

Information Technologist
http://www.rcpd.msu.edu <http://www.rcpd.msu.edu/>

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI 48824-1033