[Athen] JAWS in Japanese

Jeffrey Dell jeffreydell99 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:39:25 PDT 2009

Hello
Fall semester I have a blind student taking a Japanese course.
We have the usual stuff setup. We have a tutor for him. JAWS will
read Japanese characters and there is a nice Real Speak voice but I
don't know how the braille support works. I've read that IRIS
recognizes the Eastern languages pretty well so that is probably what
we will get for OCR. Do any of you have any experience with a blind
student taking Japanese?
We've had a lot of students in Spanish and French but have never had a
blind student in an Eastern language course. I've been told that the
beginning of the course involves the students learning how to draw the
characters. It should be interesting.
Jeff
Cleveland State