[Athen] JAWS in Japanese

Mamoru IWABUCHI mamoru at bfp.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Mar 29 16:02:49 PDT 2009

Hi.

Jaws is already localized in Japanese and also supports Braille.
One important point about Japanese screen reader is that it is Not just a
front user interface with Japanese text-to-speech (TTS) engine. It needs a
special dictionary for Kanji (Chinese) characters. There are over 3,000
Kanji characters we usually use. When typing Japanese, the system tells the
user a list of possible Kanji characters for the pronunciation the user
typed. Then the user chooses one from the list.

You may want to email the vendor and ask how to buy Jaws in Japanese online.
Email: support at extra.co.jp
Website: http://www.extra.co.jp/jaws/

The most popular screen reader in Japan is the one called "PC-Talker", by
the way.
Website: http://www.pctalker.net/

Both software require Japanese Windows OS.

What I am not sure is if the Japanese screen readers above are good for the
learners of Japanese. If the learners are interested in speaking, reading,
and just simple (Hiragana) writing in Japanese, English-based screen reader
with Japanese TTS engine might be good enough or better.

I hope this helps.

I worked at the DO-IT, the University of Washington, for a year. It is good
to be still in this listserv after I came back to Japan. Thank you.

Best regards,

Mamoru

-----
Dr Mamoru Iwabuchi