[Athen] website reader

Ken Petri petri.1 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 22 09:41:14 PDT 2010

Nettie,

Ohio State is piloting ReadSpeaker Enterprise for the next year. It is not
free but their pricing seems reasonable (I know "reasonable" is a relative
term). If you want to write me directly, I can put you in contact with our
rep. See how the "highlighting" player works here:
http://www.voice-corp.com/en/text-to-speech-services-for-speech-enabling-the-web/ReadSpeaker-Enterprise/Solutions/Expanding-Player/

Set up on the VoiceCorp end is the most expensive part and then you pay by
number of page views--bought in blocks, I believe. Implementing on your own
pages is very simple. Users do not have to install anything.

Once implemented on a web page, the "highlighting" version reads, highlights
as it reads, and allows for an MP3 to be downloaded. The speech synthesizers
they use are very high quality. The web developer can set the playback
speed.

Our pages show it working in a variety of circumstances, explain
implementation in some detail, and discuss some problems we have discovered:

http://www.osu.edu/resources/accessibility/readspeaker.html

(P.S. please ignore our woefully out of date accessibility advice page---it
is being revised in the next few weeks. Yes, I know, it's bad....)

RocTalk is another commercial product: http://www.roktalk.com/. No idea on
pricing.

Best regards,
ken