[Athen] OnLine learning systems (Catalina Colaci)

Justin Reynolds Justin.Reynolds at COCONINO.EDU
Thu May 6 10:40:42 PDT 2010

Hello Catalina,

A colleague found some great information that may be helpful for you.

http://projectone.cannect.org/online-education/lms-accessibility.php

-------

In the spring of 2008, the California State University Chancellor's Office issued an RFP for a Master Enabling Agreement (MAE) for Learning Management Systems to be used on the CSU campuses. Accessibility was one of the criteria used to evaluate the proposals. An independent accessibility evaluation was conducted on each of the five finalists bidding on the RFP.

http://www.calstate.edu/Accessibility/webaccessibility/evaluation/index.shtml

As a result of the accessibility evaluation, only two vendors, namely Moodle and Angel, were accepted and named in the Master Enabling Agreement (MAE). Desire2Learn and Blackboard did not pass the accessibility evaluation.
http://www.calstate.edu/accessibility/Accessibility_Projects/LMS_AccessibilityEval.shtml

A new RFP was issued in October 2008 using the same accessibility requirements with the expected result to be published in Spring 2009. Due to a lack of internal resources, CSU decided to use an external company for the re-evaluation. Meantime, both Blackboard and Desire2Learn intensified their interaction with their respective accessibility collaboration groups, dedicated development resources, and tried aggressively to address the accessibility issues in some of the commonly used features. They partially redesigned them with the help of their accessibility collaboration partners (see below). This resulted in passing the CSU accessibility requirements and entering the Major Enabling Agreement.

--------
I hope this helps,

Justin Reynolds