[Athen] AHEAD 2011 Conference

Scott Kupferman scottk44 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:51:05 PDT 2010

Hi Ron,

My name is Scott Kupferman, I'm a faculty member within the School of
Education at California State University, Fresno.

I have submitted a proposal to present at AHEAD, related to technology. It
is as follows. If you would like any additional information, please do let
me know.

All the best,
Scott

skupferman at csufresno.edu

*- Program Title*

Easy captions: An open-source (free) video caption software solution

*- Program Abstract*

The provision of video captions as an accommodation presents challenges for
disability service providers, particularly those with limited budgets and
resources. In an effort to help alleviate this problem, the presenter has
developed an open source (free) captioning software program that
automatically produces captions in a user-friendly manner.

*- Program Summary*

Captions are on-screen text descriptions of dialogue and other auditory
elements within videos. Although they are an important accommodation for
students with disabilities, the provision of captions also presents
significant challenges for disability service providers, particularly those
with limited budgets and resources. In fact, a needs analysis, which will
be shared during the presentation, and a literature review, actually report
that the provision of captions is not met in nearly 40% of the initial
accommodation requests.

In an effort to help alleviate this problem, the presenter has developed an
innovative captioning software program called Easy Captions. It is an
open-source (free) university-developed tool that stemmed from a
public-private partnership pilot project. Easy Captions has a user-friendly
interface with three steps: (1) the instructor inserts their video (i.e.
DVD, CD, or web-based file), (2) the software automatically recognizes the
format and begins producing the captions, and (3) the instructor (or staff,
student assistants, etc.) are able to use a spell, grammar, and self-check
to ensure the accuracy of the captions. These three steps will be
demonstrated to the audience during the presentation. Further, there will
be an opportunity for hands-on usage of the Easy Caption system. The
presentation will also include a discussion of how Easy Captions compares to
current captioning production options. Attendees will receive a comparison
chart handout, as well as a data sheet and a copy of the presentation power
point.

Easy Captions has been in use for two semesters by a set of six instructors
in the following university settings: Biology, English, Education (2
instructors), and Nursing (2 instructors). Qualitative feedback was obtained
from both instructors and students. Further, a formal user analysis was
conducted that took into account a variety of factors, including the
instructor’s level of general computer competency. These results will be
shared during the presentation. Additionally, lessons learned and future
directions will be discussed with audience members. One of the most exciting
future direction possibilities relates to the use of Easy Captions in
support of the expansion of captioning as being beneficial to all students,
not just those with disabilities. This builds on the principles of universal
design for learning.

This presentation relates specifically to the AHEAD 2011 Conference
sub-theme of “Sustainable Access through Technology,” being that it
introduces a new technology for disability services offices that may have
limited budgets and resources, which is becoming more commonplace in this
economic climate. Further, the public-private partnership that spawned Easy
Captions is an ideal example of the conference’s general theme of
“Sustainable Access through Partnership.”

The presenter has an academic background in Audiology, Speech-Language
Pathology, and Rehabilitation. He has worked in a variety of settings,
including several postsecondary disability services offices. The presenter
is currently a university faculty member teaching assistive technology and
other disability-related topics. His research, development, and teaching
have led to several noteworthy awards and recognitions, as well as
participation in the public policy/legislative arena. He has developed a
variety of assistive technology products that are currently in use in the
postsecondary and K-12 setting.