[Athen] OCR for Handwriting Recognition

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Thu May 26 13:47:35 PDT 2011

Hello all,

Has anyone used an OCR package for handwriting recognition? I have a
student who wants to use this solution to digitize handwritten notes (he
is unable to use a computer for any length of time, but does computer
programming). The student uses a Mac and I am not aware of any
mainstream applications for that platform that support handwriting
recognition.

I have considered recommending the use of a Livescribe Pen and then use
the MyScript app for the handwriting recognition, but he was not
thrilled about this solution. From what I have gathered, the desire is
to write out the actual code and then have this "recognized" into text
that he can copy/paste into programs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Take care,
Sean

--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology