[Athen] Ipad lecture/conference session recording

Ken Petri petri.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 30 07:09:03 PDT 2011

Read2Go is a great app for DAISY books, but it is limited to DAISY (I hope
they are cooking up something for EPUB). It is also relatively expensive for
an iPad app ($20), but comes with a couple high-quality voices.

If you want something now that will read EPUB books aloud with synchronous
text highlighting on iPad, try Blio. Blio itself is free, but to get voices
you need to pay. The two best voices, IMO, are Heather and Ryan. They are
$9.99 a pop and you buy them through the Blio app. When they are installed
any EPUB book that you import into Blio (via iTunes) can be read with
synchronous text highlighting. Also any book that you buy through the Blio
store (via Get Books) will tell you if that book has TTS enabled.
Unfortunately, many publishers are preventing TTS--a stupid practice that
I'm hopeful will end soon.

As for generic TTS with highlighting, I think Sean is right that Speak It!
is the only game in town. Speak It also can generate an AIFF audio file that
a student can email to himself. AIFF files can be played back in
iTunes/QuickTime.

ken
--
Ken Petri
Program Director, OSU Web Accessibility Center
http://wac.osu.edu | petri.1 at osu.edu