[Athen] Recommendations for tablet computers

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Fri Jun 27 14:41:13 PDT 2014

Having just had my hands this week on a number of these at the same time,
I'd have to go for the Surface Pro. Even though it's Windows 8, it will
have a lot of built-in and other AT availability superior to any of the
Android-based options. I was even able to run NatSpeak v11 on the one I had
for a day.

More so than any other tablet, it's possible to do real work, easy task
switching, and support for mainstream productivity apps (i.e. Office) is
already there. Plug in a standard keyboard and it's nearly a "real"
computer.

Even though it's Windows 8.

(I'd still rather have a real laptop)

-*- Dan

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Teresa Haven <Teresa.Haven at nau.edu> wrote:

> Greetings, all. A colleague of mine has gotten funding to purchase both

> an iPad and another tablet device (Windows or Android based) for

> accessibility testing purposes. She would like suggestions (with reasons!)

> for what Android or Windows tablet device to purchase. We know that

> students are coming to college with a plethora of devices these days; if

> you had to pick just one (aside from an iPad) to have in your toolkit, to

> use in order to learn more about its possible usability, what one would you

> pick and why?

> Thanks in advance,

> Teresa

> Teresa Haven, Ph.D.

> Accessibility Analyst

> Northern Arizona University

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology