[Athen] PIAF Paper Issue

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Wed Sep 23 20:57:45 PDT 2015

Please forgive cross-posts

Hi all!

Here at the HTCTU we try to remain vendor neutral, but this issue is too big
to ignore.

Many of you use the PIAF (Picture in a Flash) machine available from
HumanWare to create tactile graphics for your students without vision or who
need additional support for kinesthetic learning. It has recently come to my
attention that although Human Ware sells the hardware that we recommend
(http://store.humanware.com/hus/piaf-picture-in-a-flash-tactile-graphic-make
r.html), they are currently selling a truly inferior brand of PIAF paper.

I STRONGLY recommend purchasing PIAF paper (marketed as Swell-Touch Paper)
from American Thermoform Corporation:

http://americanthermoform.com/swell-touch-paper/

The ATC version of the paper is what the ATPC uses for their tactiles, and
you will be much, much happier with it. ATC's Swell-Touch Paper is sturdy,
high-quality, flexible while not being "floppy," works very well with the
PIAF machine, and lasts for many years.

So in summary.

Hardware: HumanWare: www.humanware.com

Swell-Touch Paper: ATC: http://americanthermoform.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
Director
High Tech Center Training Unit of the
California Community Colleges
De Anza College, Cupertino, CA
<http://www.htctu.net/> www.htctu.net
408-996-6047

If you would like to schedule a site visit, training, or phone consultation,
please contact HTCTU Network Administrator, Dale Kan at
<mailto:dkan at htctu.net> dkan at htctu.net or 408-996-4636; to ensure that
priority e-mails are seen, please copy Dale on important and time-sensitive
matters.Thank you.